Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Worst Series Ever


Tonight starts what many have been waiting for. The three-game series in July between the San Francisco Giants and Cincinnati Reds. These two fine franchises are a combined 30 games under .500 a week before the All-Star Game. I'm not sure if that is some type of record at this point in the season but it certainly is not something to be proud of. The irony in all of this is that I hate both teams and it pains me to think that one of the teams will actually win the series.

The Giants have long been a team I have loathed. Growing up in the valley between the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe allowed me to befriend a fair number of Giants fans. So it is known, most of the people I considered my true friends were Oakland A's fans. I am better able to relate to A's fans I guess. There is just something pompous and arrogant about the Giants that filters down to most of their fans. Anyhow, it gives me great pleasure to see the Giants playing some of the worst baseball known to humanity. Nothing better could happen to a team that has sold itself to the large, farm animal steroid's devil. (Looks like a totally different person doesn't it?)

As for the Reds, I had neutral feelings about the Reds growing up until I met my boss. He grew up loving the Red Machine so being the great subordinate I am I decided that was reason enough to despise the Reds. I have been rooting against them the last 5 or 6 years, and with great success I might add. The only problem with hating the Reds is the presence of Ken Griffey, Jr. on the roster. As explained in an earlier post, he is my favorite player so the last few years have been painful for the both of us. I guess that is what makes this year so rewarding. Griffey is starting in the All-Star game due to his great 1st half of the season and the Reds are 20 games under .500. The only thing that could make me happier is seeing the Giants 21 games under. All I need to do is give it time.

(Photo from Jeff Gross/Getty Images File.)

No comments: