Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Dennis Dixon MILB Update #4

This is the next-to-last Dennis Dixon MILB Update. The talk in Eugene is starting to heat up around who is going to be the starting quarterback in a couple of weeks. Coming home from work today the Sports Idol (local radio guy) and Joe Giansante (local TV guy) were bantering about the topic. All of this talk centers around Dixon's decision to play baseball this summer. I have made my feelings known on his decision (it really doesn't bother me at all). Personally, I can't believe Dixon going to play baseball is what makes people question who the starting quarterback is. As far as I can tell the Ducks haven't played a game since the late season swoon when Dixon was not very good. It is my belief that last season's finish should weigh more on people's minds than a couple of weeks in the summer. Before I get myself into trouble let's move on.

Dixon has finally been given some respect from the GCL Braves website. In the stats area he is listed as an OF, not a P. That is a good thing I suppose. Dixon has played in 24 games and has 12 hits in 64 ABs for a .188 BA. That still is not that spectacular but Dixon continues to show patience at the plate. He is the runaway team leader in BB with 14. His strikeouts are fairly high (18) given his limited number of ABs but check out the rest of that roster. I doubt Dixon is playing with a single guy that is going to play in the big leagues one day. Dixon is tied for the team lead in steals (5) and has one fielding error. All in all, given the talent the Braves have drafted I would think they are happy with Dixon's summer.

Fellow UO and Clark Hall alum, Dadroza, was correct some writers more famous than I have picked up on my story. Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com and Brian Meehan of The Oregonian have written articles in the last couple of weeks. Read them if you just want to learn about things I have been telling you about all summer.

No comments: