Wednesday, July 18, 2007

British Open Preview


Well, it's that time again. A golf major is starting so a sterling preview is in order. Due to it being the summer I have not had the chance to analyze this tournament very closely. I'm not even 100% sure which country this year's British Open is being played but I am thinking it's Scotland. My breakdown of the course is quite simple. It looks like all of the other Open courses. Longer grass in between the holes. By 'in between' I mean where I hit all of my shots (miles from the fairway) but where professionals rarely are seen. Everything else is pretty short, dead-looking grass. Now that I have the course broken down in a scientific manner it's time for my top 3.

1. Tiger Woods - I would be a complete idiot if I chose anybody else. He is the best golfer in the world and is looking to pull of a rare three-peat so betting against him would be a mistake. Only big-time golf experts study golf enough to pick someone besides Tiger. Look for Tiger to lift the Claret Jug on Sunday.

2. Colin Montgomerie - He has perfected being the bridesmaid at major tournaments and he is coming off of a win on the other side of the pond. I also read on ESPN's golf blog (subscription required) that he holds the course record at the site of this week's tournament. All of this leads me to believe a runner-up finish is in the cards for Monty.

3. Spencer Levin - This is my upset of the week but Levin is due for a breakout performance. He broke on to the scene with a 13th place finish as an amateur in the 2004 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills. Levin has fiddled around on some of the minor tours since but has been doing a fine job on the Canadian Tour this year and qualified for the British Open. Also, Levin graduated a couple of years behind me and while playing baseball he gave me great advice on how to play shots from 50-100 yards out. I still suck at those shots but it has nothing to do with his advice.

There's the prediction for this weekend. Let's check back on Sunday evening to see how things turned out.

No comments: